A BRIEF HISTORY
Izbica Kujawska (IK), the 6th largest shtetl in the ADJCP shtetl list and maximum population of 1557 (57.4%) in 1909. IK was one of the oldest known shtetls with the first occurrence of Jews in the 1500’s, 8 Jews (7.4%) in 1674 (VS), 348 Jews (40.7%) in 1812. There was an independent shtetl with a wooden synagogue and cemetery managed by the Jewish community under the supervision of the owner of the estate, Kacper Skarbek.
A second synagogue was completed in 1888. Renovations of the old building occured when under the management of the Jewish community of Wroclaw (Read More: www.sztetl.org.pl) and the Synagogue section.
For a history of the destruction of the IK Jewish community is described www.virtualshtetl.com see Holocaust
The following list a few of the excellent summaries of the history of IK. We have highlighed the surnames in these histories bring attention to the Jewish residents of IK.