Izbica Kujawska is believed to have had 2 synagogues with the first, known as the “Old Synagogue”, built of wood in the late 1700’s. The Jewish population was about 250-300 individuals ( It is likely this synagogue was accompanied by a cemetery however neither is well documented. The cemetery location is assumed to be in the vicinity of the known cemetery on a prominent hill to the north overlooking the shtetl of Izbica Kujawska.  The old synagogue was in disrepair by 1847 and was renovated in the years 1847-1857. It remained open until 1895. 

In the eight years between 1880 and 1888 the second synagogue was built out of brick on ul Garbarska believed to be on the site of the old wooden Temple. This picture shows the construction of a brick fence around the synagogue and what is likely the Beth Midrash (House of Study or Yeshiva school) built in 1886. According to the Izbica Kujawska website, local resident Wolf Gimpel z”l, indicated that the Beth Midrash also provided rooms for the Rabbi’s accommodation and for a Library)

photo est. 1900-1910. (

1997 pictures (Private collections R. Nash z"l)

2007-2011 PRIOR TO RENOVATIONS of the 1888 Synagogue (Wirtualny Shtetl)


The present synagogue building ia considered to be only one of 3 classical synagogues to have survived as a coherent building in Jewish Central Poland*. It is located at the corner of ul Garbarska and ul Listopada. It was handed over to the kehila in Wroclaw in 2000. Remarkably, the windows with Star of David symbols have been reclaimed and the brick has been covered by a modern day stucco surface—all renovated after 2011.

A comparison of photos from 1997 and 2021 reveal that the House of Torah (Yeshiva) learning centre/Rabbi residence) as well as the brick/iron fence however appear to have been altered or entirely removed.

* The other two are in Lubraniec and Osieciny.


The only known Jewish cemetery in IK is on Kirkut Hill adjacent to the High school buildings north of town. It is highly probable that it was established in the 1700’s however little is known of accurate location or dimensions. (View is to North). The memorial plaque—fixed to a boulder and  located as shown—was erected in 2019 by Komitet Organizacyjny Spoleczenstwo Izbica Kujawska (Organizing Committee Society of IK). No fence exists around the cemetery and there are NO matzevot present.

Historical pictures of the Cemetery (Source:

Little documentation exists for the location and dimensions of the original cemetery from the 1700’s however it is assumed to be the same location as the existing cemetery. Burials were also accepted from the surrounding kehillas of Ciepliny, Kazanki, Smielnik and Zagrodnica.

There is not doubt there were burials in the 1700’s as they are recorded genealogicially as far back as 1735 (IK Shtetl Team). The approximate, ie assumed, border of the cemetery is outlined as a dotted boundary however, it is possible the cemetery was more extensive to the south and west). Only GPR investigations would be able to resolve this accurately unless plot maps can be found.

Another interesting aspect are the windmills located between the cemetery and the townsite. Obviously, they were perched on top of the hill to gain access to wind power. None exist today as they became dilapidated and were torn down in the 1960’s. 

It is interesting to note photo #4 (enlarged here):

This photo may be the only existing photo showing the full cemetery (date unknown). The view including the 3 windmills appears to be to the SE where the high school now exists however further clarification relies on finding a map of the windmills.

The matzevot are clearly in view with this enhanced picture from the original (source

1997 Pictures of the Cemetery by Rieki Nash z"l

2019 Pictures of the Cemetery
(see video on home page.)

The video honours past Jewish families from Izbica Kujawska with a ceremony from the Jewish cemetery filmed in 2019. This was part of a student project to honour Jewish families from IK spearheaded by the Junior High School teacher Magdalena Bochman and students of the adjacent High School. The director was Tanya Cummings fresh from the filming of Line 41 featuring Natan Grossman of Zgierz who joined the ceremony and Rod Eiger. (photos from virtualny shtetl)


Source; Provided by Cummings-Weiss